Saturday, January 19, 2013

DIY Dog Mom

In addition to being a Dog Mom, one of my favorite hobbies is crafting. I love to scrapbook and I also really enjoy sewing--and I think I'm pretty good at it! I got a sewing machine for Christmas in 2011, and since then, I have made three dresses, a tablecloth, and three curtains for my living room windows, in addition to repairing many things, including Apple's harness.

This Christmas, my mom gave me a book called 101 One-Yard Wonders, which contains patterns and instructions for, you guessed it, 101 different projects you can make with only a yard of fabric. For my first project, I chose to make an apron that I could use instead of a purse or bag to hold Apple's things and my personal belongings at the dog park!


I chose "Granny's Clothespin Apron" as the pattern I would use for my dog apron, and picked a paw-print fabric out at JoAnn's Fabrics for only about $3 or $4! (They are re-locating and had a great sale!)

The pattern I chose from 101 One-Yard Wonders
The pieces all cut out!
It took me about 4 hours to make and I am very pleased with the final product! It is comfortable, and very spacious. It could easily hold 4 or more tennis balls, and can hold Apple's entire leash without a problem. Now I can play with my dog without the hassle of carrying a bag and I won't have to worry about getting my bag wet or dirty! This apron can be easily laundered, so getting it a little messy is not a problem!

The final product!
I will be the most stylin' Dog Mom at the park.
I can't wait to make more things out of my book! I had some leftover fabric (can you believe it?) so I think I'm going to make a coordinating camera strap for my new Nikon 1. Maybe I'll come up with ways to make more of the projects dog-related!

No comments:

Post a Comment