Thursday, May 30, 2013

Our Appleversary Cake!

For our Apple-versary, I baked the same cake that I made for Apple's birthday, and he must have remembered it, because he freaked out and wanted to eat it so badly! I am glad he likes this cake so much.

I cut the hole in the ziploc bag a little too big on this one!

Apple's birthday cake

I found this cake recipe on a website called Dog Health Guide. I chose this one because it contains no baking soda and is made with APPLEsauce!  It also calls for no sugar, but I confess I do add some to make it more palatable to us humans.


Cake Recipe:
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce 
2/3 cup hot water
1 cup whole rolled oats
3 eggs (I only used two and it worked.  Lower in cholesterol!)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup granola 


First, you combine the applesauce, oats, and hot water, mix it, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then, you combine all other ingredients, put it into a greased pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 

For the icing, I mix 16 oz of Neufchatel Cheese (like cream cheese with lower fat content) with 1/2 vegetable shortening, some sugar and a bit of oil. I put food coloring in it to make different colors to decorate the cake with as well.

Making these cakes has been very fun and Apple loves this cake so much. He eats so much of it and always comes back for more, and I do let him gorge himself a bit on this cake. We have already eaten the whole thing, and I think Apple had 10 slices of it!

Eating the  cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment