Monday, March 11, 2013

Apple's First Haircut!

Yesterday, Steven and I finally gave Apple a much-needed haircut! 

Apple's coat had gotten pretty disgusting. Because he is (basically) a Labradoodle, he doesn't shed his coat, and it continues to grow even longer. In the 9 1/2 months that we have had Apple, we have never had him groomed outside of bathing him and brushing him ourselves. Lately, his long curls started turning into dreadlocks, and they could not be brushed out, so I knew a haircut was unavoidable.

See those nasty dreadlocks on his legs?
Experts and breeders suggest that Labradoodles be professionally groomed every 4-6 weeks. Topics like this make me feel guilty and sad, because we simply cannot afford that kind of lifestyle for our dog. It would cost $70-$100 to have Apple groomed only once, which would have been an investment for us. Luckily for us, Steven's dad has his own do-it-yourself dog clippers, which we used to groom Apple ourselves for free!

I was afraid to groom Apple myself for a few reasons. I didn't know if he would sit still, or if it would be hard, or if his coat would look terrible when I was done. Luckily, Apple was very good and did exactly what I needed him to do! His coat did look a little choppy right after I was done, but after I bathed him, it was much less obvious.

He looks a little choppy, but he feels really nice!
 He is so much softer now and I am sure that he feels better as well.  I didn't realize that Apple is at the stage in life where he is losing his puppy coat, so it was really important to groom him and get rid of the dead coat! I hope to keep up with brushing more often to prevent him from getting matted, but I know it will be a while before we clip him again for a few reasons: his hair is so short now that it needs time to grow out, and my amateur grooming is really for starting over, not for maintaining a longer coat. I realize that Apple will not look like a "breed standard" Labradoodle, but that is okay with me.

I plan on posting more about the challenges of raising a dog in a difficult financial situation, although it is a hard topic to address. Although Apple doesn't have all of the things a dog in a wealthy family might, he is definitely in a home full of love and attention, and I like to think that is what matters the most!


No comments:

Post a Comment