Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fashion "Faux-Paw"

On the day after Christmas, I went to Target with my husband and sister-in-law, and finally purchased myself a new coat that I desperately needed. I had been without a coat since losing my black pea coat somewhere on campus during Fall 2011, and had been getting by with a fluffy black cardigan (luckily winter 2011-2012 was very mild.)

I had put off purchasing a new coat because of course, they are very expensive, and I had never seen one that I really liked at any store cheaper than a department store. That is, until I ran across this beauty at Target. It was soft, comfortable, well-made, and on sale for $30. It was also fabulously lined in hot pink. I was excited.

You may be wondering what this fabulous coat has to do with my dog...but then again, maybe you know exactly what this has to do with my dog. Just before finally re-instating the use of the baby fence at night (as mentioned in Bananas for Bitters) I was careless enough to leave my coat out on a chair, and YES, he chewed it.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the damage that was done. Luckily, it wasn't bad. He chewed the lapel that crosses over in the front, and immediately when seeing it, I knew that it was salvageable. Only the edges were chewed, so the main triangle shape was still there. I decided to create some bias tape and encase the edges of the collar and the sides with a fabric that would coordinate with the beautiful pink lining.

Ta-da! Here is my new coat!
It only cost about $6 to fix, much less than the cost of buying an entirely new coat, and I was able to add my own special touch to it. I like to think that Apple was only chewing my coat to encourage me to pursue my creative sewing endeavors, but I know that it was really my careless mistake that caused it! Now that Apple stays behind a fence at night, I don't have to worry about these kinds of situations any more.

Ultimately, the main thing that I take away from these situations is this: I am SO GLAD I can sew.

For more dog-related sewing adventures, check out DIY Dog Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment